Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Library




Here is where I work Monday through Friday. I spent most of last week cleaning...two years worth of dust was on those shelves. I can always tell which kids are allergic to dust because the minute they walk through the library, they begin sneezing. The problem with the library is that there are just too many books and not enough space. There are so many good things...I wish I could stay here for years and just make my way through reading them all. They are mostly books on Italy's culture, political system, architecture, and art. And also quite a bit of literature....mainly stories that take place in Italy. I'm reading a book now called The Bay of Noon by Shirley Hazzard that is set in Naples after WWII. The library has a lot of work yet to be done. There are a lot of books to sadly get rid of, but it sounds like we will be sending them to a prison in Sicily instead of simply tossing them out.


No comments: